Sunday, April 26, 2015

Update March 23, 2015: From Surf to Surgery

Week 57

Aloha Everyone!

Already Monday… it’s so fast. I don’t know where time goes! It has been an interesting week with all kinds of excitement! The biggest thing is I had surgery on Wednesday to repair the tendon I cut in my thumb. All went well and I woke up 2 hours later with this gnarly splint on my arm. It is super annoying but luckily it only for like 2 weeks. Then just benched from most activities for about 2 months. But I’m glad to have my tendon restored.

This week!

Monday- we washed our car then spent most of the day cruising at PCC watching the shows. Its kind of crazy how many people from our wards work there!

Tuesday- we had District meeting and I unveiled our district bracelets. There pretty bomb... Pictures to come! We then spent some time studying then the headed over to the Visitor Center for interviews with President. It is such a blessing to be able to meet with president Warner and discuss how our area is doing and how we are doing I was able to share some areas I am struggling and he gave me some great counsel. I’m so grateful for his guidance and direction.

Wednesday- Was surgery day! We left for the hospital about 7am everything went well as I said earlier then we got back around 3 and I slept for a couple hours. Then I decided I didn’t want to sit in the pad all day so we went to our lesson at Kahana and then to the Tongan ward night.

Thursday- was a long day of visits with not too much luck but we were able to meet with a couple guys and get to know the ward a little better. It was a really long day for me because I wanted to go go go! But the Anesthesia hadn’t completely left my body so I was struggling! Haha I never noticed the affects in my first 2 surgeries because all I did after was lay on the couch! But I am doing much better my body has caught up to speed.

Friday- we met with Brother Matalolo who is our ward mission leader in the Samoan ward and talked about how we can help the ward. Then me had some rehearsals with the missionaries for our musical fireside we are putting on this Sunday then made a couple visits before going to the Chapel for ward game night with the Tongan ward. It was super fun the highlight was full-sized hungry hungry hippos. It was pretty epic.

Saturday- we went out with Brother Matalolo to visit a few families then to BBQ at Kahana with the Tongan ward. We threw the Frisbee a bit and I’m quickly learning how to throw with my left hand since I have a brick for a right! Then we worked o a bunch of stuff for the fireside then made a few visits I the evening.
Sunday- was pretty normal 3 wards so 3 times the time spent at church! I can’t explain how much I love singing In the language wards. Its like nothing else. They really don’t need the organ. You can hardly hear it anyway over the singing! We sang with the tongan Choir during sacrament meeting and there was a Palangi (white) family visiting and they didn’t know they were in a tongan ward till the meeting startd but they were just in awe at the music. Its so beautiful and brings the spirit. We start the day with the samoan ward then the Tongan ward then the palangi ward is last and compared to the language wards the palangi ward sounds like they are whispering! No emotion!

Inline image 1


Blessed to serve in a place with such Diversity. I Love the Polynesian People so much! (Tongan, Samoan, English)

This week my thoughts go to our District theme. Which is Alma 26:27, which is engraved on our district bracelet and it, says;
“Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success.”

I love this Scripture and it really is perfect for what I am facing right now. So many times in our lives we are faced with trials or afflictions and we give up or we turn back. As a missionary I have learned the meaning of this scripture and the purpose of trials. We are given trials so that we might grow. As we over come them we see growth and success. I love the Lord’s Promise that if we bear up our afflictions with patience he will give us Success. Whatever you are going through it is for a reason. We are not challenged just simply to be held back but to set us free. If we will be patience and continue to endure we will see success. I see it everyday and constantly have to remind myself to be patient with myself an those around me. Change does not come overnight but rather a lifetime.
I hope all is well. I send you my Love and Aloha. We are blessed to be here at this time is this beautiful world.

Mahalo nui loa,
Elder Shoaf

No comments:

Post a Comment